- Graphic Design File Requirements
Graphic Design File Requirements
Graphic Design Technical Specifications:
• Resolution: 300-400 dpi (Our High Quality printing press prints line screens at 200 lpi!)
• Color Mode: CMYK - (RGB files will not be sent to press as they will not separate correctly)
• Separate Files for each side
• Bleeds - for Cutting (All files with images that print to the edge of the paper require an extra 1/8" on all sides that allows the cutters to trim correctly. This extra 1/8" is referred to as a "Bleed" and lets the image bleed off the edge with a safety margin for the cutters.)
- Postcard Example: a finished 4" x 6" postcard goes to press at 4.25" x 6.25" and is cut to size. Please keep text safely inside the border by at least 1/8"
- Business Card Example:a finished 3.5" x 2" business card goes to press at 3.75" x 2.25" and is cut to size). Please keep text safely inside the 3.5" x 2" border by at least 1/8"
Template files available for download here
Folding Templates available for download here
Special Printing Extra Options:
• Spot UV: When creating a Spot UV job, You must include a Spot UV template file (mask) along with the regular full color file. The Spot UV template file is used to show where the UV will be placed. Use 100% K to indicate where you would like the UV. White will indicate no UV. Easiest to do in Photoshop. Create a layer for Spot UV gloss and another layer with the artwork flattened.
• Silver ink files must be sent in a vector format. You must use a vector program, like Illustrator or Indesign, to call out the object you want in silver ink. To indicate the silver ink, you must set the object color to Pantone® 877 C. Any other color will not be accepted as silver. Also, labeling the layer as "silver mask" or "silver" will not qualify your file. Remember, silver is a spot color and transparencies like drop shadows should be avoided.
• Creating PDF or EPS files: Export individual sided PDF or EPS files ("front.eps", "back.eps", etc) when exporting from any program such as Photoshop, InDesign or Illustrator, use the "PRESS QUALITY" setting to make sure your EPS or PDF files export correctly.
• Application Files: Collected Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Quark files accepted. All Fonts and Files used in a file must be either embedded, outlined or collected and kept together. Both Printer and Screen fonts required.
Color Corrections (from your screen to a calibrated printing press)
• Rich Blacks: Rich black is an ink mixture of solid black, 100% K, with additional CMY ink values. This results in a darker tone than black ink alone. If you print black alone as 100% K, the resulting black may not be as dark as you might like.
We recommend using...C=60 M=40 Y=40 K=100 This will give you a deep, dark, rich black.
• "How can I make sure my blues do not come out purple?" When using a blue in your design, always make sure to leave at least a 30% difference in your Cyan and Magenta values. Blue is close to purple in the CMYK spectrum. Remember, use a low amount of magenta whenever using high amounts of cyan to avoid purple.
Example: C-100 M-70 Y-0 k-0
To Sum it all up: Maui Print Shop prefers CAMERA-READY, 300 dpi, Separate CMYK PDF or EPS files (properly created), WITH 1/8" BLEED ON ALL SIDES, AND ALL FONTS AND FILES EMBEDDED.
• Sorry, no Microsoft Word, Publisher, Excel or Powerpoint files accepted for printing.
Please compress (stuffit/winzip) files and folders, name them correctly and upload to Maui Print Shop in one of two ways:
- 1. Email: Email your Camera-Ready Digital Files to: email@example.com (25MB at a time). For larger files, we recommend Dropbox or Sendspace.com. Include Contact Name, Number, File Name, Quantity, Stock, and any other comments.
- 2. FTP: settings: Server: ftp.dantoniodesign.com User: firstname.lastname@example.org Dir: prepress Password: aloha
After your successful upload, please send an email to files@MauiPrintShop.com, informing our Pre-Press Department of your file upload. Please include Contact Name, Number, File Name, Quantity, Stock, and any other comments. Should your project require logo design, page layout, brochure creation or other Graphic Design, our team of professionals will create and refine (proof) the projects with you every step of the way.